April 28, 2012

When Your Baby's Sick

Poor little Josephine has been sick this week

First, the doctor said it was probably a virus, and when she didn't get better after a couple of days, they offered to call in an antibiotic for an ear infection. I wasn't comfortable with starting antibiotics without a diagnosis, so we went in again. They said one ear (the other one than they thought before) looked a little off, but not definitively an infection. The other possibility is that she has a UTI, and they prescribed an antibiotic that would work on both. 

She started the medicine on Thursday night, and after her second dose, I noticed a rash starting on her neck and face. She broke out in hives, allergic to the medication. Now she's on Benadryl and something new.


This is the first time she's been actually sick since her birth and those 4 days in the NICU, and it's so hard. Feeling helpless, knowing I am, quite literally, responsible for her life. I've been doing my best to comfort her, which means we spend most of the day on the couch with my breast in her mouth.

Overall it's been draining, and a little scary. I feel so bad for her. Yesterday she was well enough to enjoy some Caillou for a bit, but she's covered in hives and hates the medicine, and just looks so tired and miserable.

I've seen some articles that are critical of antibiotics, and another that said fevers were good and natural. It just got very confusing, very fast. I'd love good information on toddler health and medicines, so please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment